User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
- Big NVMe news for the RISC OS at the South-West Show (News:)
Related articles
- RISC OS Interviews - Anthony Vaughan Bartram
- Interviews: Jason Tribbeck
- Interviews: Justin Fletcher
- Interviews: Martin Piper
- Interviews: Jan Klose
- Interviews: Tom Cooper
- Interview: Nathan Atkinson
- Interviews: Andrew Docking
- Interviews: Chris Stapleton
- Interviews: Eddie Edwards
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: News and features: RISC OS interview with Tim H-Smith

RISC OS interview with Tim H-Smith

Posted by Mark Stephens on 07:28, 16/3/2018 | ,

There was recently a very interesting discussion about writing a new RISC OS game on Stardot. Our intrepid reporters have tracked down the prospective author to find out more....

Would you like to introduce yourself?
Hi, I’m Square Mezzmer! Otherwise I’m Tim H-Smith - an Interactive Designer/Developer from near London. Pleased to be interviewed here.

How long have you been using RISC OS?
Since I was bought an A3010 on my 14th birthday! I began creating prototypes in BASIC and pixel-art with !Paint for game graphics.

What other systems do you use?
I absconded to Windows PC in 1999/2000. In some ways that was a shame. Also, I love Nintendo, even though I’m too old for it!

What is your current RISC OS setup?
RISC PC 600 with StrongARM. Currently a big desk helps me run the Windows 10 PC at the same time.

What do you think of the retro scene?
Wonderful. So much, I’m recoding a game - Hero: The Realm for Acorn 32-bit/Raspberry Pi.
Hero: The Realm is a hack n slash adventure game I developed for Windows in 2012. It features intriguing puzzles and many levels with original pixel art graphics and my own created sound FX & music. Sadly I had to halt development half-way due to financial/life issues. However this game will be available for all 32-bit Acorn machines. Now a software developer is "on board" (an incredible ARM graphics programmer) Hero: The Realm will be able to run far more "optimised".

Do you attend any of the shows and what do you think of them?
Attending a ROUGOL next week, where I am the main speaker. It will have a Games flavour.

What do you use RISC OS for in 2018 and what do you like most about it?
For the pure feel. I love having a ROM set as an RISC OS (3.70) and will not switch to RISC OS OPEN. Yet.

What are your interests beyond RISC OS?
Game Design – Defined as Design in Games, not just graphics or sound, a nice Design integration is what most games need presently. It’s a very interesting subject.

If someone hired you for a month to develop RISC OS software, what would you create?
I’m not hired, but there is a possible Kickstarter for Hero: The Realm where everyone can order a physical copy of Hero: The Realm. It’s all in the works.

What would you most like Father Christmas to bring you as a present?
I have a list somewhere, from 6 years old (1986). Oh wait, my father /did/ bring me an Electron! *poof*

Rougol website for games evening

RISC OS interview with Tim H-Smith
  helpful (03:15 17/3/2018)

Bryan Hogan Message #124263, posted by helpful at 03:15, 17/3/2018
As mentioned in the article Tim will be talking at ROUGOL next Monday, 19th March, with support from Tony Bartram of AMCOG Games.

http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/meetings/index.html

All ROUGOL meetings are free to attend, with plenty of food and drink (not free) on hand big smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: News and features: RISC OS interview with Tim H-Smith